Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Religions of India

I know that the majority of you may not share the same interest as me in India. Why I have this interest, I am not sure to be totally honest! I just have developed such a curiosity for other cultures including language, food and religion, and the Indian culture in general really intrigues me. I took Punjabi last year and loved that course, now my next endeavor is taking "The Religions of India" as an elective towards my degree. There has only been two classes and it's basically been an introduction and overview, but here is what I have learned so far that you too may find interesting! (I will also throw this out there in case you were worried - I am not in the market for a new religion by any means, simply curious and interested in expanding my world view!)

1. An ethnic religion vs. universal religion: an ethnic religion is one where you are said to be born into it & the social structure is based on relations with reference to your family or territory. This is in contrast to a universal religion which is a choice, not a birth status. Example of ethnic religions: Judaism & Hinduism. Examples of universal religions: Islam & Christianity.

2. Indology: means the study of India! (who knew there was such a thing!)

3. Phenomenology: a ginourmous word that I didn't know existed. It relates to the pursuit of phenomenons; what "appears". (among other large words we discussed in this class: methodology, presuppositions, socio-historical contextualization...I could continue! This is helping my oral & written vocabulary for sure!)

4. India at-a-glance: 
  • 26 states 
  • 5 territories
  • Capital is Delhi
  • Business capital is Mumbai 
  • Population is 1.21 billion 
  • Official languages: Hindi & English 
  • Religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Christianity, Islam and Jainism

(PS - I feel slightly like I am doing a grade 5 project about other countries! haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment