This is the recipe we used, and our pictures below it. We ate it with basmati rice.
Jai Ho Style Healthy Lentil Soup
Preparation Time: 30-35 minutes (approx.)
- Moong Dal – 1 cup (we used yellow & orange lentils)
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – Add according to taste
- Red chilli powder – 0.5 teaspoon (add more if you want spicy)
- Black pepper powder – sprinkle (we were heavy on the pepper!)
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon (we used cumin powder)
- Turmeric powder – 0.5 teaspoon
- Ginger, finely cut in long thin slices – 1 tablespoon
- Asfoetida (Hing) – 0.5 teaspoon (we did not use)
- Garlic paste – 0.5 teaspoon (we used actual garlic cloves)
- 2 tomatoes – peeled and finely chopped
- Cilantro – for garnishing , 1 tablespoon
- Cooking oil or butter – 2-3 tablespoon
- Take a deep vessel; add 2-3 tablespoon oil to it on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, asfoetida and ginger slices to it. After the ginger turns light brown then add the chopped tomato to it. Let it be on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Wash 1 cup Moong dal with water before using. Now add the moong dal to the same vessel and put 3 cups water. Add salt, black pepper powder, garlic paste,red chilli powder, turmeric powder to it. Mix it well and cover it and let it simmer on low heat.
- Let the lentils simmer on slow heat for 20-25 minutes – make sure you check occasionally if water needs to be added. After the lentils dissolve in water and become thick you can turn off the heat.
- Garnish it with cilantro. The soup is now ready to serve. You can combine it with wheat bread or Indian roti/naan.
|Chopping onions, garlic, ginger & tomatoes|
|The finished product - cilantro garnished on top|