Monday, January 9, 2012

A lesson from the 'bucks

As I mentioned, I am currently reading the book "Onward" written about Starbucks' recent quality challenges with their business. Written by Starbucks' CEO Howard Schulz, it provides a very realistic and business-like point of view to major decisions he was faced with. It is a bit textbooky but I am enjoying it nonetheless. The first item I learned that I wanted to share with y'all is why this book is call "Onward".


From the get go when writing memos to his colleauges or employees, rather than using "Sincerely" or "Thanks" to sign off his name, he uses the closing of "Onward". He explained this as a feeling of an adventure happening and forward moving. He felt it a small yet powerful word to use in this context which I really enjoyed! More to come on what else I learn from this book.

The best part about this book (did I say this already?) was that it is normally$30 but I saw on Twitter one day in December that it was 50% off one day only so I bought it for $15. I was thrilled, especially because I learned about it on my new fave social media!


No comments:

Post a Comment