Sunday, March 18, 2012

parent grading

A Florida state rep is proposing a bill (entitled the "Parent Involvement and Accountability in Public Schools bill") that will include grading parents in four categories in the school system, specifically for parents of Preschool to grade three children. The four categories below would get marked with a satisfactory, needs improvement or unsatisfactory:

  • Parental response to requests for conferences or communication.
  • The student's completion of homework and preparation for tests.
  • The student's physical preparation for school that has an effect on mental preparation.
  • The frequency of the student's absence and tardiness.
 
The thinking behind this whole idea is that "you can have the best teacher in the world in front of the classroom but if the child isn't there, then they don't learn" (Stargel, 2012). There would be no consequences to having a low rating and the idea would be to start a dialogue within the school. 

I am still a little on the fence about this topic, in all honesty. Considering I don't have children of my own, I probably end up with an skewed viewpoint with non-firsthand experience. On one hand, I feel like the majority of parents I know do try to communicate with teachers, do try to make sure their kids have breakfast (& whatnot) and do ensure they attend classes. At such a young age, children can't do all those things on their own. For the parents who don't do these items, I think that this idea of highlighting where they could better their children for the skills to succeed in life isn't necessarily an awful idea - but in a non-judgmental way! What I especially liked was the comments that came after the article by fellow readers, including:  (these are just a few, among a million)

-"Hahaha and if I fail, do I give the kid back?"
- "Having someone fresh out of teacher's college giving me a 'report card on my parenting skills' would be extremely insulting."
- "Obviously parents play the greatest role in a child's development, but the teacher should partner with the parent to help the child succeed, not judge them... Passive aggressive methods such as grading a parent once a semester would simply create animosity between the two groups."

Anywho, just some food for thought that I found intriguing. Your opinion is welcomed; read the article at: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/will-schools-start-grading-your-parenting/article1883068/

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting article. I don't agree with the "reporting" on parents, but I do agree that good communication and a home-school joint effort have a very positive effect on kids' performance :)

    ReplyDelete