Sunday, September 2, 2012

i fought the grind, and the grind won.

Someone convinced me that doing the Grouse Grind was feasible for me. For some reason unbeknownst to me, I didn't put up that much of a fight. I didn't have anything else to do that day, so I agreed to go. Wow. Was that an experience. I seriously, from the bottom of my heart, can say that hiking up a mountain that is full of natural stairs is NOT fun to me. I also roped my Aunty Coralee into coming with myself, my sister and my dad. They were all much better hikers than I, complained much less than I and took far fewer breaks than I.

In retrospect, it was pretty, and it was a good thing my daddio had so much time to take photographs! At the time, I was definitely not enjoying the scenery. Rather, I think I was probably cursing it... Anywho, bottom line is I completed it! It took me quite some time...but I did it! And believe me, I will not be doing it any time again in the near future. Enjoy the photos of me almost dying!

the beginning...

My poppa & Coralee
and we are off!

my dad's photography while waiting for me to catch up with them


a lovely bench to rest on!

this is what I had to do sometimes to catch my breath...



there are these orange markers that outline the trail. as you can see, there are 160 in total and we are at 21...shoot me now...



this was the half way point!! hooray
and this was the final few steep steps up where my daddio helped me up because it felt like my thighs had been shot


DONE! (photo courtesy of Coralee - don't worry, she finished too!)


the gondola ride down - i was exhausted. more than exhausted. is there a word for that?


the view

the yummy dinner we had when we got home - green salad, roasted potatoes, veggies, yams and fresh barbequed salmon!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Congratulations! It's a tough hike and know you can say you did it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks 'Liza...I am glad that I can say I did it but I can also say that I will NOT be doing it again any time in the near future.

      Delete