Thursday, January 17, 2013

black bean & sweet potato chili

A girl I work with shared this recipe (below) with me that I made tonight. I've made chili lots of times, so this was just a slight variation on a classic recipe. I really liked the addition of sweet potatoes! It made it feel quite hearty which was nice; and it is also quite healthy. I also love cilantro in ANYTHING.I forgot to put lime in, but that would have added a nice Mexican flair; I also thought that adding corn would work well with it but we didn't have any this time around.

I really need to start taking photos with an actual camera in some decent light - these iPhone photos I keep putting on here don't do ANY justice to my food!! :(

_____________________________________________________
2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin

Pinch sea salt
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water
1 - 14 oz (398 mL) can black beans, rinsed
1 cup (250 mL) canned diced tomatoes
2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped 


Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sweet potato, and zucchini; cook, stirring often, until onion is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add red pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. 

Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover and simmer until sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. 

Add beans, tomatoes, and lime juice; increase heat to high, and return to a strong simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a slight boil and cook 5 additional minutes. Remove from heat and toss in cilantro. 

Serves 2 to 3. 

Each serving contains: 295 calories; 12 g protein; 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 55 g carbohydrates; 15 g fibre; 350 g sodium 
___________________________________________________

On the food topic, have you ever heard of hemp hearts? The same girl who gave me this recipe (who is super duper insanely healthy!) also told me about hemp hearts. They are one of the 'super foods' and are a grain that is very high in protein, which is good for me to try to get more of given that I don't eat meat.  I made a chopped salad for lunch today for little sister & I (can you tell I'm trying to be healthier?!) and it consisted of: broccoli, tuna, chick peas, apple, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, salt n' peppa and hemp hearts! It was really yummy! I always find it such a challenge to make things that I am excited to eat come lunch time AND ones that are healthy at that. 

Eating lunch at my desk...
And finally, my dear sister sent this to me and we both think it's SO true: (hehe)


No comments:

Post a Comment