Wednesday, January 29, 2014

a picture says a thousand words

Harj, Dave, Nick, and I had lunch at Red Robin last weekend. It was good to catch up with them and hang out with our lil' buddy Nick. He's too fun. And boy, did his cheesy macaroni from the kids menu look delicious!


Amanda and I went sari shopping with Lisa on the weekend in preparation for the two weddings I have coming up: Min and Harj. Min's is February 9th and Harj's is May 18th. Since we were surrounded by Indian restaurants, we had some dinner. These appetizers, of which I cannot remember the name for anymore, were quite the entertainment. The ball is a hollow, hard shell. You take your spoon, tap the top of the shell to make a small hole, and then spoon some potatoes and chick peas into the shell. You then pour in some of the liquid and then pop the whole thing in your mouth. It tastes yummy AND is kinda fun to eat!

I baked these semi-healthy cookies recently. They still have butter and sugar in them, but there is also carrots and apples! I also put in some flax seed, oats, and a few types of nuts.

Edwin and I did lots and lots of errands last weekend. It was insanely productive. I made a list at the beginning of the weekend of about 15 things we needed to accomplish (him getting a hair cut was one of them!) and then we checked them off as we went. I LOVE being productive. I also LOVE making lists and checking things off of them. It feels so satisfying. This photo made me feel like I was paparazzi. I needed to get my eyebrows done, so we went to my eyebrow place in Fleetwood. Lo and behold, they had men's haircuts on special for $5! We got to kill two birds with one stone there. My eyebrows are shaped and normal again and he had a decent haircut!. Win win.

We went to Winners over the weekend and I found this fun, bright tray for $8. It now lives on Edwin's coffee table. It also has my Latin cookbook and the blue vase with flowers on it. It looks very chic.

I took this trying to be artistic. Was I successful? (we bought plantains at Two EE's!!! I'm so excited to make fried plantains!!!)

My cousins son Linden turned 1 this week! Happy birthday Linden!! We had a birthday party complete with balloons and....

...cake! Surprisingly, Linden was not too impressed with the cake at first. He did end up eating a bit in the end.

I donated blood today. I actually had an appointment a month or so ago that I missed when I had a super duper bad stomach flu. They definitely didn't want my blood then. Now my blood should be in tip top shape! ;) JC, who is home from her latest adventure, accompanied me and then we got sushi. YUM.

I'll top off this picture post with a few words. I like words!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that my sister is going to be leaving us. She got a phone call on Monday saying she is leaving to the RCMP Depot on Monday, February 10th for six months in Regina. That will by far by the longest I have gone without seeing her in 22 years. Who is going to get sushi with me at the place where we have to take our shoes off? Who is going to convince me to not buy yet another pair of flip flops? Who is going to make sure I buy the low fat salad dressing and eat egg whites instead of eggs? Who is going to respond to my ridiculous voice notes over Whatsapp?Who is going to use up all my hairspray without me realizing?

I am very, very excited for her and know she is going to be very, very successful in her new career. This is a HUGE step for her and it is an amazing opportunity that she has worked her butt off for. I just don't actually know what six months without her will feel like. Weird, that's for sure. I don't know if I can talk about it in much more detail without bursting into tears!!

I also mentioned a few weeks ago that I signed up to be a stem cell donor. I received my package in the mail yesterday to submit some tests to see if I am eligible to donate. I haven't done it yet, but essentially I have to swab my mouth four times in four different spots and then mail them to Ottawa. I will keep you posted! Again, if you are interested, click here for more info or to sign up. Or, click here to find out more about donating blood.

Did you know the Vancouver Auto Show is coming up soon? I want to go! I need to be careful. My Honda Fit might get jealous...

Lastly, two recipes I want to try: homemade pesto and mushroom risotto. Mmmmm.

Goodnight world!!

PS - is that even the expression? "A picture says a thousand words" - ?? It sounds funny to me now after reading it a few times!!! Oh well. You get my point!!! (hopefully)

2 comments:

  1. So... i cried. Who is going to stop you from making ridiculous purchases and eating with you?! Good thing you have Edwin who is responsible, he has some big shoes to fill for 6 months ;)

    -Lil Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my mouth swab this week! And seriously, way to go Jen on getting in, that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete