Wednesday, January 8, 2014

twenty fourteen

Happy 2014 and Happy Wednesday - we are half way through the first full week of work after the holidays - hooray!  

Tulips on the coffee table are so pretty and make me happy
Today has been a great day. Firstly, it is my doesn't-look-a-day-over-26-years-old aunt's birthday! Happy birthday to my Aunty Coralee! Second of all, we got some exciting news about my little sister today - SHE GOT IN! (I didn't ask for permission to blog about this...whoops! We will just leave it at this for now and hope I don't get in trouble...more to come soon hopefully, but click on the link for now!)

I hope everyone had a great new year's eve and a good start to the year. For new year's evening, Edwin and I went to The Boathouse in White Rock for dinner. We had yummy steak, prawns, and halibut (well, minus the first one for moi) and the most delicious cheesecake ever. Then we drank champagne to ring in the new year at midnight.

My handsomely dressed man poppin' champagne

A shameless selfie!
On New Years Day, we had our annual family dinner with my mom's side of the family at my Aunty Josie's. Last year, my siblings and I missed this dinner as we were at a wedding. As of this dinner, Edwin has officially met ALMOST everyone in my extended family; with the exception of one cousin on each side. The below photos are courtesy of my Uncle Dave. I wish I had taken some photos (for blog purposes of course!) but it sort of slipped my mind.

Kristen, my poppa, and lil' sis

Aunty Catherine, Grandma, and Pants

Robyn, Keira, and my momma

Edwin, me, Aunty Lorna
Speaking of dinners, I had a bit of an adventure last week making dinner for Edwin and I. It resulted in a minor arm burn, a burnt steak, soggy non-fritter like zucchini fritters, overly dill-ish tsatziki, and a grumpy cook. Oh well; it will still relatively edible. You win some and lose some in the kitchen I guess. Check out this new recipe I want to try! (wish me luck...)

The aforementioned kitchen injury. I thought I could be a hero and rescue a fallen potato...I couldn't.
On another note, I have a friend from work that is going through some current medical issues. She has already required a blood transfusion, and is now in need of a stem cell or bone marrow transplant. She just found out her sister is not a match, so she has been put on the registry and is beginning the process of waiting for a match. If you have any interest in signing up to be a donor for stem cells or bone marrow, you can find out more information here. I signed up last night, because I'd absolutely love if it could help her in some way, but also think it would be great just to be able to help anyone who needs it. (By the way, did you know that this is separate from being an organ donor or a blood donor? So much to learn in the medical world!) Alternatively, if you are interested in donating blood, which is always in need as well, find out more information about it here. I have a blood donation appointment coming up on January 29th in the evening if anyone would like to accompany me?! :)

2 comments:

  1. 1. Love tulips. So much.
    2. I signed up for `One Match' because of you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tweeted my thanks to you, but I really, really appreciate you signing up!!! You are so great!! THANK YOU!!!

      Delete