Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Min's Wedding

We all know I love a good wedding to attend! What is even greater is an Indian wedding where there are a weeks worth of parties to attend where I get to wear saris, eat delicious food multiples times, and dance. My friend Min (who is part of book club!) got married to Jag on February 8. Her wedding was beautiful and colorful. She looked insanely happy. Of course, lots of photos were taken! Sadly, I didn't get too many with Min, but I think she was a little on the busy side being the bride and all...

Eliza, Amanda, me, Min, and Lisa at the mayain party. This was a few days before the wedding ceremony. I tried googling to find details on what the traditional purpose of this ceremony is, but sadly could not find much info! I believe it is the brides side getting her ready to be given to her groom.

We went to a mendhi party as well before the wedding. This was a few days before the wedding as well, on a separate day than the mayain party. This was at Min's house. Brides wear it all over their feet and hands quite elaborately, while we just had small designs on the tops of each hand.

I think this might be my favorite sari I own. I love the color and gold on it - and it has matching bangles!

Everyone has to go up and rub tumeric on the brides hands and feet. This is supposed to help her look more beautiful for her upcoming marriage.

Amanda in her new orange sari (We found a bargain table at Vicky's Cloth House in Surrey!!! We both bought two saris, and each were in the $15 - $25 range. This is quite inexpensive for a sari. You still need to get the blouse made, which is about $30, or you just wear a tank top that matches like me! Most saris that are 'fancier' than what we bought are in the $300 - $400 range.

Mmmmm dinner. Shahi panneer and daal. Accompanied with rice and naan.

The wedding ceremony! This was at a Sikh temple on Saturday, February 8. Brides typically wear red. This is the official part of the marriage where the groom leads the bride around in a circle several times. I believe this symbolizes something; I am just not sure what! I should have done more research before blogging. Whoops!

The wedding ceremony attire - suits for Amanda, myself, and Keri. I love these three colors together!! The scarf like part of the outfit is necessary because in the temple where the couple was married, you have to cover your head. Men tie bandana-like pieces of material on their head, where women cover with scarves.

Edwin and I post-ceremony. It is interesting to note that men and women do not sit on the same side of the temple during the wedding ceremony! We had a group of us there so Edwin was not left alone on the mens side. (PS - doesn't he look cute in a suit jacket?!)

The reception! I wore a LOT of jewellry. I felt pretty fancy. This was one of my two new saris!


A funny photo shoot outtake!

The stunning bride Min and her groom Jag! Jag gave a really, really sweet speech about how much he loves Min. I love hearing things like that at weddings. It made me tear up a little!

The girls at the reception! (Eliza, Amanda, me, Lisa, and Keri)

I stole this one from Facebook! This is Jag and Min on their wedding day. This is them sitting in the temple just after their wedding ceremony.

Congratulations Min and Jag! Thanks for such a fun wedding week! The only sad part is that Min is now moving to Vancouver Island to live with her husband. At least it's only a ferry ride away!

No comments:

Post a Comment