Sunday, November 23, 2014

beet dip

Last week, I was at my friend Keri's house. She had prepped some appy's for us gals before we were going to head out to a concert that night. She lives right across from Meinhardt, and got beet dip from there. First of all, the color was amazing so we were all fascinated by this. Then, the taste was really great too! It tasted like beets, but not solely like beets. It had a good tang flavor to it as well. Since I looooove beets, I decided to try making it at home!


Beet Dip

8 small beets, boiled & peeled (or roasted - I just find roasting takes a lot longer to cook them)
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup sour cream 
1/4 chopped cashews
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
salt, to taste

After washing beets, boil them until they are soft. Remove skin from them, and place in blender. Add olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Puree until smooth. Add sour cream & goat cheese, and continue to puree. Add cashews, garlic powder, & salt, and continue to blend until the dip appears smooth. Voila!

I think you could likely add more goat cheese if you wanted, but I was mostly making this dip simply for the color. Therefore, adding more white goat cheese to the mixture would have diluted the hot pink color!

There are lots of modifications you could make to this as well to suit your tastes! I was looking up recipes online and saw that a lot of recipes used walnuts instead of cashews. A lot of them also called for an herb, such as thyme or dill. I think that style was less of a creamy, cheesy dip than I was going for, though. 

Oh, and the concert was super fun that night!! Here is my fave song of his: The Sound of Sunshine. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. I think I might have to try this. Nya would love it based on colour alone :) What did you dip in it? Veggies? Crackers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I served it with French bread - but you could totally dip anything in it: veggies, crackers, other bread etc. I have leftovers of it too - I was even thinking of using it as a sandwich spread for dinner this eve...(it needs to get eaten!)

      Delete