Monday, November 3, 2014

on blogs

I think I've mentioned before that I really enjoy blogging. I know I've been blogging less often lately, after going through a phase where I blogged a LOT. Did you know that in 2011 I had 350 posts? That almost works out to one per day!! In 2012, I posted 254 times, and 2013 I posted 107 times. To date in 2014, I am at 41 posts. Definitely minimal comparatively speaking!

I think in 2011 and 2012, I blogged because it was an 'escape' from full time work and full time school. And then I finished school, started a new job, and met my man. I've always just kinda blogged about life: school, work, what I've been up to on the weekends, things I enjoy, and that sort of thing. I've expressed on here that sometimes I come to a blog standstill, and don't really know what to talk about. Other times, I feel like I could write a novel! (which IS on my bucket list to do, by the way...)

Lately, the types of posts I've been enjoying the most are my 'thing posts.' (for example, ones like this one, this one, and this one!) Sometimes they are themed (food is a common one), and sometimes they are just random things I like and want other people to see. Most recently, as you can see if you read here regularly, I like to blog about food. I like cooking, I like eating, and anything else to do with food!

Edwin & I had my family over for dinner last night. We always go to my parents on Sundays for dinner, but I figured once in a while, we would have them over instead. Last night I had a sous chef who got stuck with grating cheese for the pizzas. (The benefit was that he also got extra cheese on his pizza) The inner Dutch in my also came out and I made a minestrone soup pre-pizza. My Opa used to make soup every Sunday when we went for dinner, and I like that tradition.
I was going through my usual blogs this morning (as I am home sick from work), and came across this one: how to write a blog business plan. I would LOVE to have a blog that was my job. I would love to blog about food for a living, but seriously would have NO idea where to start. I then read this list, and got a bit overwhelmed thinking about! If it were to be actual WORK, I'd have to put a lot of time and effort into it. Would it be fun then? Blogging has always been so fun to me, and I don't know if it would stay this way. Plus, what if it doesn't do too well?

On a related note, I think I'd need an actual decent camera to do the aforementioned food blog... I don't think iPhone photos would cut it! (haha) Plus, I think I'd need some sort of angle to this potential food blog. Vegetarian? I don't think Edwin would be toooo happy with all those experiments... :)

See: iPhone photo. These colors could be so much more vibrant!! (this is aloo gobi - a vegetarian Indian dish with potatoes and cauliflower)
Anywho, those are my random blog thoughts of the day. Perhaps I'm just feeling inspired after reading Julie & Julia and my big blog plans will die down soon?  Maybe I'll just stick with my usual random posts for now since that continues to make me happy! Stay tuned, and have a fantastic Monday. (hoping you aren't sick too!)

PS - check this out: the Japanese art of decluttering. (see: tip #4. I knew I was onto something!!)

1 comment:

  1. I would say that next time you go out to a restaurant, review it! Take photos and do a `proper' post :) Then, you can see if you enjoy it. You can also use that as an example if you do go forward with it and need to submit samples. Also, maybe join YVR Foodies on fb for some cool opportunities and networking :)

    ReplyDelete