Monday, November 17, 2014

ravioli update

As promised, I made more butternut squash ravioli with wonton wrappers this time. Wonton wrappers can be found in the produce section of grocery stores - I found these ones at Price Smart by the tofu and veggie meat products. It came with two packages of 50 or 75 (I think?) for about $3.75.

I had filling leftover from the previous butternut squash adventure (below) where I hand made the dough. With these wonton wrappers, you just put your filling in the middle, fold over the wrapper, and make it stick together with an egg wash. 




They were really easy to work with, and relatively healthy too! For 10 of them, they were 100 calories. Probably more healthy than pasta dough which is pure flour...


I made two cookie sheets of raviolis, and they looks much prettier than my hand made ones! I cooked one sheet of these for Edwin & I for dinner, and froze the other sheet for future use.

I wasn't expecting the texture of the ravioli to change as they cooked, but it did. It turned very flimsy and thin, and some of my raviolis fell apart. (or through my slotted spoon!) I boiled them for about 5 minutes, and then put in a fan with some olive oil to fry a little. I thought they might harden up a bit, but they didn't. The texture wasn't bad, it was just not as structured as you would typically eat ravioli.





For the finished product, I put some pesto & goat cheese on top. Pesto goes very well with butternut squash, and well, ANYTHING, so this was a good combo. They were very light to eat since they were so flimsy, but it did make it so that you could taste the filling more, and not dough and filling like last time.

I still have the other half of the ravioli wrappers in the fridge, so I'll have to try another recipe with them sometime before February 2015! (when they expire!) Any ideas??

1 comment:

  1. Kinda fun!!! You're creative! I would never never never try a recipe like that :) Good for you :) Happy cooking ;)

    ReplyDelete