Tuesday, January 27, 2015

food things

I keep an ongoing list on my phone called "to make." On this list, I jot down a bunch of recipes that I eventually will make and I regularly add to it. I add new recipes that people share with me, ideas I come up with, or anything else I think would be fun to make for dinner one night! Really, there are no rules to the list....

Sometimes I find myself in a dinner rut. I mean, how often can we really eat pasta & fajitas?! So, I decided recently that I'd like to make one item from the "to make" list a week. Then, a few weeks into that, Edwin thought it'd be fun if he gets to pick the new thing I make each week. We've just started that this week, and so far so good. He chose pork chops in scalloped potatoes, and I made that last night! That was nothing wild and crazy, but my mom always used to make it, and it's a bit of a comfort food for me.

As you know, I like to cook and take pictures of it, so here they are! As usual, I apologize for the poor iPhone photos...

This is a teriyaki noodle bowl. (made with my Epicure spices!) Pork & zucchini for the boy, zucchini for me!

Greek salad: onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, & feta with olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.

Spanakopita! Aka spinach pies.

I made this dip when some friends were coming over for dinner last weekend. I was aiming for a cheddar chipotle dip. I tried googling but recipes weren't really giving me what I wanted...so I made it up! It's cream cheese, sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, barbeque sauce, and garlic; heated it in the over. It was a hit!

I can't take credit for this one - my mom made tortilla pies!!! They are to die for. If you haven't had it, you need to try it. the one on the right has chicken for the boys; left is veggie for the girls!

Remember the good ol' wonton wrappers from butternut squash ravioli?! The last of them are used now! I made spring rolls. This is the filling: a bag of colesaw (cabbage) sauteed with salt, pepper, and soy sauce.

Voila! Baked spring rolls with plum sauce. They actually tasted pretty good!! I mean, deep fried is obviously better, but for baked homemade spring rolls, these weren't bad.

Along with spring rolls, we had fried rice and beef & broccoli.

Refried black beans - Guatemalan style! Edwin's mom taught me how to make these when she was here last summer, and I just tried them now. (her's were SO good - I was scared not to make them as well!!) She used a pressure cooker to make hers, but I used my slow cooker while at work. They are DELICIOUS! Beans, water, salt, onions, and garlic go into the slow cooker. After they are done, blend them, and then put them on a pot on the stove. Add oil & salt, bring to a boil. Done! Amazingness.

Horrid photo - but these are crepes! I've never made them before. Two are sweet, and the one in the middle is savoury. (hence the cheese) The actual crepe didn't have much flavor, and the filling should have been creamier, but now I know for next time!

Manicotti! Another mom-favorite. She used to make this growing up and I haven't had it since. I did ground beef for the boys; spinach and mushroom for the girls. (we are having it again tonight since there was leftover filling!)

Last but not least, my girlfriends & I made sushi on Sunday night! We made regular rice sushi, and also quinoa sushi, which was pretty good! I felt it highlighted the flavors of the fillings a lot more than rice. The above is a yam roll. Normally at restaurants, it's a yam tempura roll, so the yam is more crunchy and fried, but we did just regular cooked yam. I think the favorite type of roll though was avocado, cream cheese, and smoked salmon. YUM.

Whoops. We made a LOT. We all brought some for lunch the next day too!

Lastly, check out these amazing things you can do with mac n' cheese. (love the pizza idea!! haha)

My friend Eliza made this quinoa recipe recently, and said it was great! I'll need to try it.

Any good recipes for me to try out there? Have you made anything fun these days?! Do share!! And have a great week everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try sushi with quinoa, what a great idea! Pork chops give me good memories of my mom too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals always look AMAZING. It makes me wish you were my personal chef :) I'm not a fan of cooking, so my dinners are never anything worth blogging about! Yours on the other hand...well, keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like one order of the terriyaki noodles please, preferably with pork ;)

    ReplyDelete