Sunday, April 26, 2015

unique diets

Interestingly enough, I came across two articles this week about two very unique types of diets. I know I wanted to blog about the first one since it involves vegetarianism, but when I found the second one, I was fascinated.

Flextarianism: someone who "consciously reduce their meat consumption without cutting it out entirely." While this type of eating lifestyle is being explained, something struck a chord illustrating the reason why you'd become a flexatarian: "Eat healthier, prevent animal suffering and fight climate change without the awkwardness of requesting alternative dishes at social events or sacrificing the occasional bacon cheeseburger." Preventing animal suffering was not necessarily why I became a vegetarian, but not supporting animal suffering was definitely a main driver.

Flexatarianism is not the same as vegetarianism, but it is similar. I've always felt very guilty being a vegetarian and going to peoples houses for dinners. If they don't know ahead of time, do you you tell them? Or awkwardly decline the meat they've cooked? Either option is uncomfortable in my opinion. If I tell them ahead of time, it feels like I'm saying "please cook something special that I will like for dinner that you weren't intending on making." But if I don't tell them, I have to explain on the day of and then THEY feel bad! ...which is why I've eaten meat a few times. For example, I went to an Indian cooking class at a co-workers house one time, and we made vegetarian items, which was great! Then, at the very end of the class, she told us to just quickly try the lamb curry she had made for her family for dinner. (lamb, of all the meats!!) I tried to politely decline saying I was full, but when a spoon is put in front of your face, it's hard to start saying no because of vegetarianism! Therefore, a little bit of lamb I did eat. I really, really don't want to offend anyone, so I'd rather sacrifice my own principles than offend them. Am I a bad vegetarian? Probably. But I'd rather it this way!

Zero-carb diet of ALL steak: literally this diet is 100% rib-eye steak, once per day at dinner. (this article was seen on A Cup of Jo) I was enthralled reading this article at so many points. For one, they only eat once per day. As an adult, sure, maybe, if I wanted to try this I could see it. But they have two children, ages 8 and 10, who are also on this diet. I can't imagine how this is good for children! The interesting part, which you will see if you read this article, is that the children don't go to typical schools. It didn't even specify that they are home-schooled! I have a feeling this family lives a bit of an 'alternative lifestyle,' if you will...

Also, how boring would it be to eat the SAME thing for dinner every, single night?? I mean, I hear meat lovers do love a good steak, but it will surely lose its luster after 4 weeks of steak dinners!! They said they don't even season the steak!! Imagine what their fridge looks like...

Do you identify with any of these diets? Would either of them interest you to try?!

1 comment:

  1. There's no way my kids could eat one meal a day and especially it just being steak (they don't like it). I like the idea of eating way less meat. I don't think I had a single vegetarian meal growing up and right now we do it about twice week. Fortunately our kids are pretty open to every single meal! I always appreciate when people remind me that they are vegetarians before making them a meal!

    ReplyDelete