Sunday, January 3, 2016

a 2016 *mostly* food thing post (with photos!)

Happy new year! We celebrated at our house with a few friends over, some wine, and the game "Cards Against Humanity." Have you played? Hilarious! Very politically incorrect, and a bit vulgar, but hilarious. I won, by the way ;) What did you get up to?




First, you may have seen this on Instagram, but WOW. One cauliflower was $8.99 at Two EE's when I went grocery shopping yesterday! I didn't actually need to buy cauliflower, but was just shocked at the price. I even find them normally expensive at $4 or $5 each! I took a picture just in case you don't believe me:

Some 2015 savory favorites from smitten kitchen (need to try the mushroom marsala pasta bake!)

Tips & tricks on reducing waste, in the house and the kitchen

I won a gift certificate for $50 through Twitter recently to Tasty Indian Bistro! We were thrilled as we love Indian food. We went last week. Delicious! I had the veggie dinner; Edwin had the non-veggie dinner. (shocking, I know)

Amanda bought a trial sized perfume at Sephora recently but didn't like it & gave it to me. I'm in LOVE with it. Thanks buddy!

I made these burger patties slider-style for New Years. They were not bad, but needed a bit more flavor. Sorry to my Uncle Dave, who thought they were pulled pork & got quite a surprise...

I also made peppermint brownies with crushed candy canes on top. I love anything mint so these were great in my books. (PS - I love this cake platter given to us at my wedding shower. It makes me want to bake just to put something on it!!)

Ooooo: we got a fondue pot for Christmas from Pants! I made cheese fondue recently when my family came over for dinner. (sidenote: cheese is expensive, especially the fancy kinds! haha)

I've made corn tortillas twice now with my tortilla press & corn flour. They are pretty good - not quite as authentic as the ladies in Guatemala make them, but not bad ;) Only two ingredients though!
This is a special tortilla holder/warmer given to us as a wedding gift from Edwin's aunt & uncle. You wrap the tortillas in a dish towel to help keep them warm too!

My mom even tried out the tortilla press!
A coworker of mine made these cheesecake lemon bars and they were AH-MAZE-ING. I don't know that I have the patience to make two layered desserts... especially because baking is not my forte.

On the menu for tomorrow nights dinner: Martha Stewart's macaroni & cheese with butternut squash.

This is very exciting as I am blogging from my usual laptop, but it got some upgrades for Christmas! A new battery and a solid state hard drive. It runs SO fast now!! Thank goodness. It also came with installation ;) I hope everyone has a great week back to school and/or work, after hopefully a bit of well deserved time off.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet win! How was the macaroni and cheese with butternut squash?

    ReplyDelete