Monday, April 25, 2016

zero waste

I went to a #MindfulMovie last week with my friend Amanda and one of my coworkers. This is put on by Erin Ireland, a food blogger of To Die For, Zero Waste Market co-founders, and the Juice Truck. (held at Stretch Yoga & Event space)

Erin hosts movies once per month, on a variety of different topics. I think that zero waste is an awesome cause and would LOVE to be more mindful of how we treat this world of ours. We watched a really great movie/documentary called The Clean Bin Project. I really enjoyed this movie, but will disclose that it is a little daunting overall. It is about a couple who has a goal that for one full year, they will try not to create ANY garbage. They don't buy anything, they grow some of their own food, make their own toothpaste, etc. It's pretty hardcore BUT I love the message they give about trying to eliminate our waste! I recommend it if you have an interest in this topic for sure.

There were some delicious snacks there - and we were asked to bring our own cup & bowl/plate for the snacks. Such an easy way to not create a bunch of waste from an event!! I liked that idea.

Here are some things I learned/realized that I could do to start my own zero-waste project: 
- not use the plastic bags at Two EE's when I buy fruits/veggies (just bring them home, wash them, and put them in the veggie/fruit drawer)
- sell/giveaway/donate things that I am not planning to use anymore
- search online to see what is recycle-able (I do try to recycle often, but more things might be recycle-able than I think!)
- ask at my grocery store if they would put deli products in packaging that I bring rather than the paper/plastic they put it in

Here are some things that I already do that I am proud of: 
- bring my own coffee in travel mugs to work every morning (not only is this good for the environment, it saves money too!)
- shop at Two EE's for fruits & veggies (a locally owned market, selling some local & organic items)
- bring cans/bottles back to the recycle depot (again, it helps and it gives us a few dollars in our pockets)
- not waste food at home. Edwin & I are both really good about ensuring we just buy what we will need for the week, eating leftovers instead of throwing them out, etc. It hurts my heart to throw out food!

There was conversation after the movie, and the overall thought was that the movie was inspirational and a bit daunting, but we all need to start somewhere. Starting with the above things that I mentioned might not have as much impact as my actions could be down the road, but they are immediate things I can do to have an effect on this world.


Like the above says, reduce, reuse, and recycle. And as my teacher friend Keri says, reduce is the FIRST R for a reason! We all can do a little bit to reduce our garbage footprint here so that we don't end up with giant landfills all over the place. And if you aren't convinced yet, read about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

What are some things you currently do, or want to do, to help reduce waste in our world? (remember: it doesn't need to be huge!)

PS - if you didn't click on Erin Irelands blog above, read it! Her food always looks amazing - she is a vegan and eats a lot of plant based foods, so it is inspiring. (and follow her on instagram)

PPS - has anyone ever tried Spud.ca? I am intrigued with the concept...

No comments:

Post a Comment