Sunday, August 6, 2017

the philippines part 2

As it has been almost a full month now, I figured I should blog again! I will continue with the rest of my trip to the Philippines. 

My last post was about the beach resort weekend we had in our Philippines adventure, and this post will be about the rest of my trip. As I went for work purposes, I spent the following week working out of our office in Manila and having some local adventures.

At the latter part of our beach trip, I started feeling a bit crummy. Sore throat, sniffly, coughing, that sort of thing.  I kept thinking it was just a cold, or being tired, or something like that but alas, it turned into full blown bronchitis. I had not felt that poorly in a loooong time. It was not pleasant! I went to the doctor when I got home and got antibiotics right away, but overall I was quite sick for almost 3 weeks. 

Due to said bronchitis, I didn't do a ton other than one full day of mall trips on the statutory holiday (July 1st) and work/sleep during the week. That being said, I still felt like I got an authentic experience and loved getting to know the culture in the Philippines more!

I walked to a coffee shop that was about 25 minutes away prior to a day of shopping. (I was not feeling great this day, but not horrible enough to stop me from shopping!) I had breakfast & coffee at Single Origin. Fancy coffee!

The mall I went to first is called Market! Market! (the name cracked me up) It is a Filipino style mall.

I did a few other breakfasts after work and dinners before work out with people. There was a really cool mall right across from where I was staying called Venice Grand Canal Mall.

It really does look like a canal in Venice! It was beautiful with lots of restaurants & shops.

A restaurant we went to here is called Rice & Dough. The above is the rice...

...and this is the dough! It is a sushi & pizza restaurant. How unique is that?! I obviously loved it.

It was raining quite hard this nice at Venice! (hard to see in the photo though)

One morning, after we ended working around 5 am, we went to Tim Hortons. Who knew there was one in Manila?! Did you also know that we went to one in Dubai? I had no idea Timmy's was expanding in the world!!






The reality of the rest of the other days, however, was this:

Working, eating take out (pizza, since there was always a veggie option!) and in my pajamas. (oh and in bed!)
Here are a few other fun photos of things I did there!




The view from the airbnb I stayed at. Beautiful! I must admit, however, that I kept the blinds closed most of the time. I was sleeping during the day!

I will also admit that it was not until the last day of my trip that I realized I could look right out the window and see downtown Manila. Even more beautiful!! (I did not go to downtown Manila)


I can't wait until I can go back to visit the awesome people of Manila, and also explore some of the beautiful islands & beaches they have there! I am definitely booking some vacation time pre or post work next time I go. There are so many more places to explore!! I may also make Edwin come with me next time. I don't need a lot of alone time in life so traveling for this long on my own felt a bit lonely at times. I like to always have someone to talk to; I'm a bit of a chatter!

The next trip we have planned is next month where we will be going to Montreal & the East coast of Canada. We plan to start in Montreal, where I will be going first for a few days before Edwin to work - we have an office there as well. Then we will head to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. Hello lighthouses & lobster! Dreaming of the clam chowder already as well....

Hope you are enjoying your summer a lot! Stay safe out there with all these crazy forest fires.

No comments:

Post a Comment